Friday, July 17, 2009

Its my birthday and I'm not gonna cry

Yeah, today is my birthday. Don't worry, I'll accept presents through the end of the month so you don't have to worry about being late. I'm nice that way. For me, though, birthdays kinda suck. Don't get me wrong, any excuse for cake and presents (presents for me) is a good excuse. But I tend to think of the number of years I've been here and how much I haven't accomplished in those years. When I turned 30 I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown. Not anything I would need to be committed for, but close. All I could think about was how I hadn't done this and that, and how much I wanted this and that. This year I'm doing it different. I'm going to reflect on things that I have accomplished, or things that are great in my life.

1. I found my soul mate. I know this sounds cheezy, you'll be fine. I've spoken a lot about my husband on here before. He rocks. He understands me, lets me be neurotic and still loves me. He supports me. And even if he drives me crazy sometimes, he is such an amazing man.

2. I have a great family. Yes, completely dysfunctional, but we love each other and aren't afraid to hug each other. Granted, I did have to remind my sister a few days ago about my birthday and I've yet to get a call from her. But she has three children so I'll let it slide.

3. On the topic of family, I didn't have a normal childhood (who does, really?) but that made me stronger and I'm a better person because of it.

4. I have great in-laws. There are many horror stories of in-laws that I don't have to worry about. Now, they are still in-laws so they are completely odd, but they would do anything for me.

5. I know and love Jesus. I couldn't always say this. (this maybe should have been #1) As you know if you have read my blog, I have done horrible things. But I am forgiven and its a wonderful feeling.

6. I have no debt. Holy freaking cow! Except, of course, mortgage and car. But that is a huge milestone for us.

7. I've had the opportunity to be out of work for three months and counting. I have loved it and it has made me reevaluate my life.

8. I have wonderful friends. I can count my close friends on one hand, and I like that. I mean the people that would come over in 2 minutes if I needed them. The people that would help me clean my house, let me burp and fart in front of them (!) and know some of the horrible things I have done. People that put up with me in down times and the people I want to share great things with. I'll post about them later.

9. I have awesome animals. They are cutie. I love them. They are always happy to see me, even after I yell at them. One is getting really old and I'm scared of her passing. Kinda makes me a little teary eyed.

10. I have no needs that aren't met. Isn't that amazing? Sure, I want things I don't have (kids, millions in the bank, 300 friends on facebook). But I have everything I need, everything God wants me to have right now. It has been hard to accept that, and I still struggle daily. But it has a peace about it.

This has been very therapeutic. I'm happy now. I need to do this every year. What is amazing in your life?

1 comment:

  1. Ditto on all but 3 and 7. My childhood was strangely normal and I have been out of work and not grateful for it and I have my job now which I am grateful for. I love my friends too!!! Have a wonderful Birthday. I love you!

    ReplyDelete