Sunday, January 20, 2013

He Speaks!

Aaron is two.  He can show you on his fingers and everything.  He can pee on the potty (although usually doesn't) and pull up his own pants.  He can run and eat with only spilling 75% of it.  I've said it before, but he is just freaking awesome. 

The one thing he doesn't do is talk.  Now, he never stops making noises...they just aren't words.  He will say a few things; momma, dada, nana, thank you, i love you (melts my heart everytime), but really has no desire to talk.  I didn't talk until I was almost 3 and I'm super smart.  :)  While it may scare other moms, it really doesn't bother me much.  He understands exactly what we are telling him/asking him to do.  Plus my pediatrician said not to worry. 

So imagine my surprise when he decided to mimick someone in Target this weekend.  Aaron and I were picking out Valentine cards when a mom came around the corner.  She was clearly flustered with her children (don't judge, we've all been there).  She gave them a curt and purposeful, "Now!".  This was shortly followed by Aaron's unmistakable immitation.  Yes, she was close enough to hear him.  Yes, she turned to see who the jerk was.  Yes, I'm positive I turned crimson red.  And I'm not an Alabama fan.  I said, "I am so sorry" but she was a little too far away to hear my meek reply.  Mortified doesn't even begin to describe it.  But I couldn't help but laugh at my child who doesn't speak!

She walked off and I was positive the daggers she shot at me and Aaron had just narrowly missed.  Well, a few minutes later and no closer to finding a card she came back.  I had no where to run.  I saw her coming and immediately said again, "I'm really sorry".  She took me by surprise.  She actually responded, "Actually, hearing him helped my stress level return to normal."  I told her that he doesn't really even talk.  She said, well, I guess he needed to say it and I needed to hear it. 

I hope that one day when I am angry with Aaron (or Brad) in the store and a small child mimicks me that I am as gracious as this woman was.  A bigger hope would be to keep my attitude in check.  But I'll settle for the former...

No comments:

Post a Comment