Thursday, August 12, 2010

Healing Old Wounds

A long time ago I signed up for the Proverbs31 daily devotional.  It has followed me through two jobs and a lay off.  I wish I could say I'm diligent about reading it, but many days it gets pushed to the back of the email list or ignored completely.  I might skim it and see if it pertains to a struggle for me or I might read it in detail and weep. 

Today was a weep day.  Here is the link if anyone would like to read and get signed up for it.  I highly recommend it.  I'm sure most of you know what the Proverbs 31 verse is about, but I have a memory of a story that make me want to be a better woman, a good mom, an all around better person.  Someone told me of a friend of hers that was very sick and in the hospital.  All her children stood up, one by one, and called her blessed.  I think there is no better compliment.  And I hope to be that kind of mother. 

The article today is talking about "Beauty Wounds".  Wounds that women have received over the years as a result of their appearance.  I'm no stranger to these wounds.  Most women have something that has stuck with them.  And unfortunately mine have always stuck with me.  The worst part is the person who is most to blame has not been a part of my life for some time and I still can't get past them.  They have left me scarred into thinking I am not beautiful. 

I may not be beautiful to that person, but I am to those that matter.  God thinks I'm beautiful, even through all my sins.  My husband thinks I'm beautiful, even through morning hair and morning breath and bad attitudes.  And these should be the only men I strive to please.  The love they give me is enough to sustain me, to build me up, to make me feel complete. 

So today I am going to vow to forget those hurtful words from so long ago and remember they don't matter and never will.  I'm going to focus on the love of my Savior and my husband.  And I'm going to focus on making sure my son or daughter know their beauty isn't on the outside.

1 comment:

  1. WOW......! That is awesome! You are going to be a great mommy...:)

    ReplyDelete